T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Monday, May 10, 2010

Rube Goldberg Part 2

Remember when T Rex Dad repaired the furnace? Well, this time it was T Rex Mom repairing T Rex's glasses. Our son seriously needs his glasses - all the time. He even asks for them if he goes any amount of time without them.

Well, last night, T Rex Dad was carrying them - yes, only carrying them, and they fell apart at the nose piece right in his hands. It's going to take a few days to get them replaced so what to do in the mean time? Well, jerry-rig something or as T Rex Dad says, do a Rube Goldberg. And that's just what I did. Grandma would be proud.

When I was a girl I lived with my grandma for a while. She lived in this tiny, ancient house that had actually been moved at the turn of the century since the town it was located in was going to be flooded when Hoover Dam was built and Lake Mead created. That house was literally insulated with newspapers and the windows were held together by tape. The roof leaked like crazy. It was my job after a rain storm to get up on the roof and patch the holes with rubber cement. Rubber cement was Grandma's fix to everything. Well, I guess I learned a thing or two...


T Rex's glasses held together by Scotch tape and a rubber band - not rubber cement but close enough, right?


T Rex happily wearing said glasses (yes, he's doing his morning potty break - but that's usually the only time he holds still in the morning and I needed a still shot to show the glasses.)

We'll see how my "jerry-rigging" holds up.

In the mean time, is there anything around your house that you've jerry-rigged or Rube Goldberged?

6 comments:

Nina said...

Oh how cute! Looks like he is fine with your little fix. My mom was always the queen of duct tape. I don't think I own duct tape because my mom use to put it on everything and I hated it. LOL....

Jenners said...

I just love that he is reading on the potty!!! A boy after my own heart!!!

And I try to do this stuff all the time ... but it never really works. I don't have that kind of mind.

Erin said...

I think we got out of that habit, we would fix it and the boys would break it again and again. So when it's broke, it's broke...unless it's mommy's then I am just heartbroken!

Claremont First Ward said...

WOw. VERY clever!

septembermom said...

He's a good reader!! I'm not good at fixing anything. Breaking things, there is my specialty :)

Emily said...

Good example of...Use it up, Wear it out, Make it Do or Do Without!

You are always a good example in every way!

He, as usual, looks adorable!