T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Saturday, October 18, 2008

This week's allergy shot photo



This is the photo of the hive from one of yesterday's allergy shots.

(That's a quarter for comparison.)


Two week's ago I had a systemic reaction to my allergy shot - not fun (tongue swelling, difficulty breathing or bronchoconstriction). After a shot of epinephrine, benadryl antihistamine, and an albuterol (Xopenex) nebulizer breathing treatment, I was significantly improved. Since then, my very excellent physician has adjusted my meds so I can continue, at a slower pace, my immunotherapy.

My goal is to get through all these shots so I can get off the pharmacy of drugs I take to control my allergies. In a way, immunotherapy is an option for anyone who does not like taking medications for allergies. It does take time and commitment. In my case, I go once or twice a week for shots (I have to get two shots each visit - one in each arm - because I have so many allergies). At this rate I will achieve maintenance levels within 6 months. Then I will only have to go once a month. Then it is once a month for four to six years. However, I think the benefits definitely out-weigh the risks and hassle. And the shots really are not that bad - aside from the giant hives!

Oh well, after 36 hours of labor with my son, this is a piece of cake!

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

oh. my. gosh! This is HUGE!!!