T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Monday, October 20, 2008

"Tipping Point"


Today I spent four hours in the car driving for work - as a pharmaceutical rep in a largely rural state my job often involves lots of driving. I don't think many people realize how large Idaho is - it's the fifth largest state.

Since I often do not get a lot of time for reading having a young and very active child, I listen to books on CD while driving - some work related and some not. Last week I finished listening to "The Hobbit". This week I finished "Tipping Point" by Malcom Gladwell.

Have you ever wondered why sudden and unexpected changes happen - why a book might become a best seller or why shows like Sesame Street are successful? Well, this book breaks it down. I found it to be a decent assessment based on some anthropological theories. "Tipping point" refers to the point at which something moves from mediocre to sensation. In my job I'm trying to move from mediocre sales results to sensational. Is there something I can do with the way that I present things to achieve that sensation?

Basically in a nut shell - the book is an examination of the social epidemics that surround as.

What I liked most about the book - it demonstrates to me that I, too, can make a difference. It is possible for one person to start a positive social epidemic that permeates enough to evoke change.

Now the question is, what kind of epidemic would I like to start and how am I going to go about doing so? I'm currently taking suggestions. I guess we'll have to see what I come up with...

In the mean time, for more information, here is the author's website:

http://www.gladwell.com

And you can read directly from the book if you would like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/B001G60FSO/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

No comments: