T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Monday, February 2, 2009

Oatmeal Milk Bath Powder Recipe

Continuing my trend of homemade gifts...

I always like doing a little something for Valentine's Day. I found this idea off this website for inexpensive handmade/homemade gifts. I'll probably be borrowing a lot of ideas from there.

Actually, the intent is to make the bath soak and put it into Victorian style envelopes but I opted for Valentine style sandwich baggies from the Dollar store. The powder is very fine so I would recommend some kind of zipping bag but if you want to go with the Victorian envelope I have attached the template.



Finished product - Oatmeal milk bath soak in Valentine style bag - ready for gifting!


Template for Victorian envelop - recipe on back (better version on website)

Here is the easy recipe:

Ingredients:
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 2 cups milk powder
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
Optional:
- Dried flowers or herbs (i.e. lavender or dried rose petals)
- Essential Oils



Ingredients - aside from essential oils, the remaining ingredients were ones I had in the pantry.

Process oatmeal in blender until finely ground. Add milk powder and blend until the consistency of fine powder. Pour into bowl, add cornstarch and baking soda mixing very well. Grind herbs and stir into milk bath mixture. If desired add a few drops of favorite essential oils. Use three tablespoons for one packet. One packet per bath. Lastly, enjoy bath!

I did not use any dried herbs or crushed flowers. Instead I used 6 drops of eucalyptus and 6 drops of peppermint essential oils. It gave the mixture an amazing fragrance. I considered using lavender by itself but it was twice as expensive as the other essential oils combined. This makes me want to grow my own lavender this year to use instead.

I often use oatmeal and milk baths for my son - either when he is having a break out of eczema or a bout of diaper rash. It works great for either but make sure to allow the infected area to soak at least 10 minutes - not a problem for us since we have to fight with him to get out of the tub!

Enjoy! I'm off to take a bath tub soak!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OOhh! Sounds good. I like a good soak. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog about the interviews. Are you a nurse or nursing student?

T Rex Mom said...

To Nurse Practitioners Save Lives ~ I just applied to NP school - the deadline was 2-2 so it will be a while before I hear back but I am hopeful! Thanks for the comment and keep the awesome interviews coming!

Anonymous said...

Ripley ate my gift. I couldn't believe it... she jumped up on the bathtub and ate it while we were in the other room. I took her to the vet for something else and they said dogs love oatmeal...

So, sadly... I have not gotten to try it... you don't have any other bags lying around, do you??

shell

T Rex Mom said...

Shell, we will absolutely get you more - don't worry, everything in the bath was totally edible. I've also just made some bath salts - if she ate those, she would have diarrhea since epison salt is a laxative! I'll save some Oatmeal Milk Bath for you for next time! Thanks for the funny story!