T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Pantry...

In a previous posting I alluded to my large pantry and my urge for stockpiling food. It is still a work in progress but at least this gives you an idea of what I've been talking about.

Well, here you have it, the long awaited pantry photos...


Door #1 - this is the one we frequent most often.

I'm working on clearing the entire bottom area to put buckets of staples (i.e. flour, sugar, oats, etc.)


These are the bins we are using for long term staples storage - you can see the bucket has another bag inside of it - with this technique we can keep it for 10 years.


We have these smaller bins for our flour, sugar, rice, and oats we use everyday.


These cans of freeze dried food last 35 -40 years (packed in nitrogen) - we purchased them from the Ready Store - we have a pretty good variety - not just stables but also scrambled eggs and stroganoff.


Door #2 opens to a freezer - this is for non-storage items (i.e. ice cream, canned juice, vegetables).

We also have a couple cases of MREs and some emergency rations - it's not possible to see these in any of the photos.

Bonus photo -

This is my freezer in the garage for the beef we just purchased. We ordered half a beef last year. This is a 14 cubic foot freezer and it's fairly full.

I might be rubbing off on my son a little too much...

This is Thomas' collection of "food" in his kitchen set.

***On a side note - why do I "collect" food? There was a point during my childhood when my mom and I simply did not have enough. I never want my son to have to go through that. For no other reason than wanting to provide for my family, I "collect" food. And if someday we do have to dip into our "food savings," then we will eat well! Stew, spaghetti, stroganoff, peas, corn, potatoes, strawberries, blueberries...It will be a feast!***

2 comments:

septembermom said...

I would love to have your pantry! Maybe someday we'll get a kitchen redo and I can get a nice pantry. Right now it's not in the cards. I think it's a great idea to be a "food collector". You always have something to make. I have those days when not much is available in the kitchen. Then I have to rely on pizza delivery :)

Mommy of M's said...

Wow, that is a lot of food!

M1 has that same kitchen. He LOVES it.