T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Five Seconds of Terror at the Sheriff's Office

Thomas and I ran some errands this afternoon. Of course, we had to go AFTER the mail came - I still haven't heard anything from the university about nurse practitioner school. So frustrating! I received an email from them today saying I should have notification within the next few weeks. I'm working on a tactful email back since classes start in four weeks! Needless to say, the lack of mail and the subsequent email left me fairly grumpy. Thus, we left to run errands.

One of the errands was to go by the Sheriff's office to get my license. Great time, being grumpy and all AND with a T Rex. But it needed to be done. Actually, he was a great little guy. We waited for close to 45 minutes when it finally came time to get my photo taken. That's when he started to get a little antsy. Since he was in his stroller I put some yogurt drops in the tray (the only kind of "candy" he will eat - no bribing this child!) and turned away. A nice lady who worked there offered to play with him and even brought him a stuffed toy. Why not? After all, this is the Sheriff's office for goodness sake!

I turned to smile at the camera and looked back and my little boy was gone! Gone! I just about died! (My heart still pounds a little bit just thinking about it!) It was only about 5 seconds (felt more like 5 hours) before I saw them down the hallway strolling around. I ran over to them, roared at the lady like a true T Rex Mom, and then "thanked" her for the assistance. I was really shaken up. Guess I learned my lesson - no strangers offering to "watch" my child - even at the Sheriff's office!


T Rex safely back with his protective T Rex Mom.

I forgot to mention the Sheriff's office is right behind county juvenile services. Maybe that's why Thomas was so good! When I was a kid my mom used to threaten to send me to "juvy hall" if I was bad - it really kept me in line. I must be following in her foot steps.


This is what the final product of today's labors with the photo of me while my child was being taken! I am still shaking a little bit from that!


Good thing the license is good for five years!

10 comments:

Caitlin said...

SCARY!!!!

Missus Wookie said...

So glad that it worked out o.k. and your drivers license photo actually looks human what's up with that?

Cecily R said...

It's amazing how fast your heart drops when that happens isn't it??

My daughter wandered away (the one who made the SOTP sign)when she was a toddler in our city park. We looked for her for over 45 minutes before we found her at the police station with a nice older couple. It still makes me want to throw up thinking about it and it's been 5 years!!

Cecily R said...

oh, and thanks so much for your nice comment on my guest post on Angie's blog last week!

septembermom said...

You must have been so scared! Thank God it all worked out fine. I've had those moments when I can find one of my kids. My heart stops for those seconds.

What a pretty driver's license photo! I wish mine looked so good:)

Former Fat Chick said...

got here from Piece of Coconut- um, remember ROAR means I love you in Dinosaurs!

Nina said...

I would have freaked out!!! Doesn't it make you wonder what that person was thinking walking off with your child. Its one thing to entertain them right next to you but to wonder off with a strangers child. Ahhh...

The license picture is cute!!! I had mine done in 2007 when I was 9 months pregnent. Lets just say it never sees the light of day unless it absolutly has to. LOL...

shell said...

She is actually a pretty nice lady. She used to work at Idaho Eye care center and recognizes me everytime I go there. she probably thought you were going to be a while and wanted to distract him... but I can certainly see where that would be very frightening. Especially not knowing her.

Jenners said...

I can't believe how good your photo looks! And I can't believe she would walk off with him like that!!!!!! Argh!

mitchsmom said...

Great pic, but I can't get past the "112 lbs" - you rock! I wish I could see 112 again!! LOLOL

Glad you found your baby fast - that is always so scary!!! Have you locked him in the car yet? I wouldn't know anything about that, myself *blush*.