T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Monday, June 8, 2009

School Preparations

I'm starting nurse practitioner school in 2 weeks. I'm a little scared but mostly excited. After getting accepted there was a list of things I had to get done. And get done quickly. This is what I've been doing the past couple weeks - T Rex in tow. So, of course, it takes at least twice as long.

Update immunizations: Tdap booster - evidently the CDC recommends all adults get one at least every 10 years. Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) - with the tetanus component it does pack a punch. My arm was sore for 3 days. I was current on all others - that's pretty good actually. Are you current on yours?

Vaccine titers: for the immunizations I am current on I had to get blood titers drawn - three vials of blood later I show very good immunities, especially to varicella (chicken pox). No surprise I had quite the case of chicken pox as a kid.

TB Skin Test: no big deal except when I went back to the clinic to have it read T Rex and I waited in the lobby for 45 minutes before the MA took me back to look at it and declare me negative (which I could have told them) - reading it took a whopping 30 seconds. Let's just say my little toddler was well acquainted with every square inch of that place!

Criminal background check: we went to three separate police departments before finding the correct one that would do my finger prints and submit the paperwork to the university. T Rex was very interested in the fingerprinting machine. Now they scan your fingers and a laser printer puts the prints onto a paper. It was actually pretty cool to watch. It took a whole container of puffs for T Rex to sit through that! Good thing they are calcium fortified!

CPR certification: yes, I let mine lapse so I had to spend this past Saturday morning (minus a T Rex but also not feeling well) doing multiple sets of five. That's 2 minutes a set but it really is hard work - harder than riding the elliptical! Not exactly what I wanted to do with my free time this weekend but it had to get done. Next time I can test out should I chose to.

Renew RN licence: this was the easiest part - just mail in a check. T Rex put on the stamp and put it in the mailbox.

Now I can take a little break before online class starts in a couple weeks. I know many folks think I am a little crazy to do grad school with such a young child at home but I am only going part time and not working. When I was in nursing school I worked part-time, finished my psychology degree, and danced four days a week - I was also on a bowling league - seriously, what was I thinking?!? This should hopefully be easier than that was!

It will take three years but it will be worth it. I probably won't be able to post as often but I will keep you updated and I will also try to keep the giveaways going too!

7 comments:

septembermom said...

You are starting such an exciting journey! I'm thrilled for you :) I know that you'll be able to juggle everything. I'm so glad that there are online education options open for stay at home moms. You're going to be one pro multi-tasker during the next three years. Go Jenn!

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

That is great.

Kim said...

Yay! This sounds like a great new journey and it will be so worth it! Once you get into a routine - when I went back to work it took about two months to feel relaxed about Deaglan being away from me, getting used to work, less time spent with Deaglan etc - you will be able to relax.

Sheesh, that is a lot of poking and prodding you have to go through! At least you get a thorough once over on yourself.

Jason & Claire said...

I'm so excited for you. You're going to be great.

BallerinaBiker said...

I think you will do great, and everyone will survive. I did my graduate degree with 2 little ones at home. It was nuts, but do-able. Congrats! I'm excited for you!

Nina said...

That is a lot of things you had to do. I hate shots and I think the last time I had any immunization was when I was a kid so I am probably not updated at all.

I wish you lots of luck because I couldn't do it with kids. I require lots of study time and no noise. Sounds like you are ready for it and the reward when you finish will be great.

2Shaye ♪♫ said...

Congrats on the decision to be back in school. It's work, but worth it. I did my first master's degree (four years ago) attending full-time with a one-year-old and worked 20 hours per week (most of my work was online, so that helped tremendously). This second master's degree I figured I'd do the same thing--9 hours per semester and now I have three little ones at home (5 y/o, 3 y/o, and 1 y/o) and I'm teaching 4 college short courses each spring.

Life is sometimes crazy, but it means I finish my degree much more quickly. :)

Have a great time!

~Shaye