T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Infant Potty Training...

Here is our sweet little girl sitting on the potty. Yes, you read correctly, she's sitting on the potty. We are trying the early infant potty learning. At this point, we are getting a decent #1 about once a day but sometimes more or sometimes less.

I haven't pushed things too much. If her diaper is dry when I check it, then I sit her on the potty. Or if I think she needs to go, then we'll go sit. She actually really enjoys it. And T Rex thinks it's hysterical.

My goal is two-fold. One, to incorporate it into our daily living so when it comes time for her to really be potty training, there won't be any struggles or fear issues sitting on the toilet. Secondly, with T Rex being done potty training at 18 months, I would LOVE to be able to do the same for T Rex Princess.

Although, she is so darn cute in those cloth diapers that I might not want her to be done with them! Even T Rex loves them. We received a free one-size diaper in the mail when I ordered a new wet bag and I thought I would see if it was true to it's advertisement - fits 5 to 35 lbs. It fits T Rex Princess perfectly (13 lbs). Then I adjusted it to fit T Rex (32 lbs) and yes, indeed, it fits perfectly. In fact, he did not want to take it off.



I did order him some Antsy Pants or cloth pull-up diapers for night time. They are actually pretty cool! He likes those but I think he prefers his baby sister's. He'll be dry for 3-5 nights and be back to nightly wetting. He's still pretty young so I'm not too worried.

Everything I've read about the infant potty training indicates that we're on the right track. I have read, though, that once they start getting more mobile they are less interested in sitting on the potty so it might wane then. Some friends of ours have been doing this with their 6 month old and he only uses one diaper a day - impressive, huh? I am curious, though, if they will experience the waning effect when he gets to moving around. It is nice having them to inspire and motivate.

Regardless, it's a great time for all of us. As long as everyone is still smiling and having a good time, we'll keep on pottying away...

8 comments:

septembermom said...

You're amazing! Wish I had that kind of luck with potty training :)

Camie said...

Wow! You're ambitious :) Don't tell my husband that T Rex is potty trained at 18 months because he'll make me start working on Kinsie. I just don't know if I'm ready to commit to potty training two girls that are 8 months apart!

Erin said...

Oh I so wish I would have done that with Thomas. He had chronic constipation, so it took a while. Now hopefully we'll have better luck potty training Christopher!

And you know they say that girls learn quicker than boys!

Nina said...

Sounds to me like you are doing a great job.
My little guy was going potty everywhere but at home. He would continue to have accidents at home so we stayed in pullups. Last week on vacation he had 2 accidents all week as he constantly told us he had to potty. I was so thrilled so now he is in big boy underwear and we are not going back.
I have the same bed time things here. Don't worry, Luke was potty trained just past the age of 2 and he wore a bed time diaper well into the age of 3. They just are not ready for it at night.

Jenners said...

Hey - if it works, go for it!!

Emily said...

Cute lit'l bug on the toilet. I am amazed at your patience and at your ability to do so many good things!

Liz said...

Awesome post! I'm so glad you are a cloth diaper fan :) I have heard great things about antsy pants too! So glad T Rex likes them! We use some cloth trainig pants with our kids too, our little lady loves to pratice on the potty too :) I like TotWraps, inexpensive and cute for day learning.

Unknown said...

Try the towel potty training method.