T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Monday, August 22, 2011

School Is Back in Session...

Well, it's official, school starts today. My nice long summer break is over and it's time to buckle down and get back to work. I have had some of you inquire as to my feelings about going back. Thanks to those who asked; I am feeling scared, excited, nervous, and sad. I'll explain.


I have two separate segments to the semester. Half of my studies will be in pediatrics and half in geriatrics. Nothing like being at two separate ends of the spectrum. I get to work with one of our community's only pediatric nurse practitioners. She is wonderful - so much so that she's actually who my kids see. This I am excited to do. Plus, I do love pediatrics. However, my geriatrics rotation will be at a local internal medicine clinic. Internal medicine is tough - the patients usually have lengthy medication lists and chronic and multiple co-morbidities. This makes me scared and nervous.


Overall, I am sad that I'll be away from the kids two days a week for 10-12 weeks. It has been wonderful being with them every day this summer and I cannot say that there were not days I did not feel I needed a day away. However, when faced with the thought of being away from them 200 hours this semester, I am sad. Their "Nan" (my mom) will be with them, and honestly when she is around I don't exist to them. It's nice for her to have the time with them and they have a great time with her. She has some preschool lessons already picked out to teach T Rex (she used to be a preschool director) and she will also be continuing his Spanish lessons on those days, too. Plus, I usually come home to some kind of art work on the fridge or play dough crumbs on the floor. Knowing all this does ease the sting of being away from them. Still, it's hard.


When I asked T Rex last week what he wanted to do with me knowing it was my last week of summer break, can you guess what he said? Go to the zoo, of course. This time we went just the three of us. (T Rex Dad had to be back at work after our cabin trip.) Rarely do just the three of us go. Usually we go with another family. This time, though, it was just us and it was lovely. I know, I know, you've all seen so many zoo photos but it's just such a great place for the kids.

This was Bebe Sister's first time driving the safari jeep. Her brother was very polite and let the little lady drive.



These elephants are great fun because about every minute or two they spray mist. Always fun to see how it surprises the kids. Don't you love that watermelon dress? Another $0.99 thrift store purchase. I don't know if this Gymboree dress had even been worn.



We recently read Eric Carle's "Panda Bear, Panda Bear". Spider monkeys are one of the animals mentioned. The kids were most excited when this one came down from the tree branches and sat down right in front of them on the other side of the glass. It was as curious about them as they were of him.





As always, the sheep and goats were great fun. They fed the giraffes, too, but it is less structured at the sheep and goats. I was really charmed when T Rex snuggled one of the sheep. It was pretty sweet. The sheep are preferred to me compared with the goats. They are more polite and gentler eaters.




Bebe Sister even used the zoo's public restroom twice with her port-a-potty seat. She has officially transitioned from elimination communication to potty training. How do I know this? She will now say "pee pee" when she needs to go. This happens only about 40% of the time. The rest of the time we just take her, but it's a step in the PT direction. Getting her well on the potty training road was a huge goal of mine during my summer break. It will certainly ease the diaper washing burden. We're now down to washing once a week.


I've also completed many sewing projects this summer. I will be posting about those this week so stay tuned. However, in the end, I do believe I am ready for the semester to begin. Nine months and I'll graduate. Kind of like having a baby except in the end, no sweet newborn snuggles but at least a diploma and a few extra initials added to the end of my name along with not more homework or Amazon textbook purchases.

I'll try to keep posting regularly. I have several posts pre-written but when school gets busy, you might only hear from me once or twice a week. Thanks for being loyal readers and sticking with me on this journey.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I've been thinking about you. I know the dread of starting something that takes you away from the babies. How awesome that your mom will be there with them. ANd it sounds like she will be doing all sorts of fun and educational stuff with them. LOVE the watermelon dress. Hope your first day back was painless and uneventful.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you today, mama! I'm glad you pushed through yesterday with your craft project and can't wait to see photos of your result. Kids are so cute and glad you are getting the help you need to reach your goal.

K.

Julie Kieras said...

YOU are an amazing woman!! Doing all you do, raising such lovely and amazing children, AND getting your degree... I know that I for one would NOT have the strength to do all that (and still blog too! LOL). But I am in complete admiration.
My heart was squeezing for you too when you talked about being away from the kids but then I kind of breathed a sigh when I read the were going to be with their grandmother - that is always so nice for children. They will have the best bonding experience - I never saw my grandparents often so I wish I had had that regular weekly contact that they will be getting! :) It is all going to work out for you - despite the hard work and long hours... 9 months.... may the journey be short (but wonderful!) :)
(and I will miss your blogs but as long as you let us know how you're doing from time to time, I will be happy!)

Caitlin said...

oh heavens, I can see how having this looming ahead would be such a mix of emotions! Hope it is going well for you so far! It is sooo nice that your mom can help- what a comfort to you! And don't stress about the blog- we'll be here when you have time! :)

Jenners said...

For me, school is back in session is a cause to celebrate. I'm sure you will excel at everything you do … in school and in life.

And I'm sure the kids will just LOVE being with Nan … and it sounds like she will have a lot of fun with them. It sounds like a win-win for everyone!

septembermom said...

You'll do wonderful. You're so organized and thoughtful.

The pictures are so cute. I love her little dress.