T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

Our day of thanks...


A little parade watching in the morning - the last 5 minutes - just in time to see the giant Kermit the Frog and Santa. T Rex was more impressed with the giant frog than Santa (whom he adores so that is saying something). Bebe Sister was just impressed to see a video.




While they watched, played, and ate breakfast, I began my pie baking. Did I ever mention I learned to make pumpkin pies from a professional pie baker? I did. While the pies cooled, we cleaned the house and the kids had naps.

There are some benefits to having a large crowd. One can "out-source" everything. I would love to say I cooked everything but I did not. I know my limits and as hosting the giant family gathering only happens every 8-10 years, I wanted it to be perfect but there was no way I would be able to pull it together on my own with my school obligations even during the break.


Enter my sister, technology talent manager by day, hobby event planner by night. Remember that baby shower she and I threw this past spring? Well, this could certainly rival that event. She and my mom cooked the core of the meal - turkeys (yes, there were two), stuffing, gravy, and pomegranate salad and brought them over before everyone else arrived. She even supplied center pieces to go with the lovely flowers my mother-in-law brought over. I thought the table looked lovely set for 20 people




Bebe Sister thought the whipped cream beater was delicious.


Others in the family arrived - it was a combined event with both T Rex Dad's family as well as my local family. Everyone brought a dish or two. In fact, I only baked two pumpkin pies and everything else was brought in -  green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, 4 dozen rolls, more pies, veggie platter, in addition to the stuff my mom and sis already brought. Even our Thanksgiving prayer and food blessing was "out-sourced" to our nephew who is minister at his church. T Rex Dad took this photo calling me the "officer in charge". 




The food was all delicious. Before we had dessert, we sang "Happy Birthday to T Rex" in celebration of his birthday. He, like his mom, struggles a little with big crowd situations. Thus, I had to coax him out of his box fort in the playroom. In the end, Auntie J's sugar cookies (remember, T Rex does not do cake), candles, and opening presents peaked his interest enough to overcome his shyness.






We enjoyed cookies and pie and played some party games - Turkey BINGO, Thanksgiving word search, and chopsticks racing - T Rex Dad still continues to be reigning champ but Uncle Doc is quickly catching up to him. T Rex played his first round of Turkey BINGO but once he won, he wanted to continue playing with his newly acquired toys, particularly those that involved cars.




A major holiday is not complete without a homemade dress for Bebe Sister. She wanted her dada to pose with her for this photo. There is a belt and bonnet to go with her dress but she strongly declined wearing them. In fact, she hid the bonnet and I still cannot find it.




It was a beautiful evening and event. I think everyone had a great time. We have so much to be thankful for and how wonderful to have an entire day to reflect with loved ones. Plus, a huge thank you for all the help I had with the food, decor, games, and clean up.


Oh, I also have to say how thankful I am that the washing machine decided to die again after all the laundry was caught up. This time, however, it seems to be an issue that T Rex Dad can repair. 


Today is my sewing Black Friday - I spend the entire day crafting Christmas gifts. I look forward to it every year. I cannot wait to show you all the fun projects. 


We hope you and your family had as lovely a day as we had.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Everything sounds wonderful! Can I just say the view from your windows is AMAZING?!

I cooked my first turkey dinner for my family this year. Just us and my dad so I didn't have to many people to mess up for. ha! :)

Jenners said...

I think you are wise to outsource! Look at the table for 20!! Wow! Amazing!! And your children are adorable! Hope you can find the bonnet soon.

Caitlin said...

So cute that Trex had a turkey-shaped sugar cookie instead of cake! Ha! I love quirky kids!

I agree that outsourcing was the way to go! The table looked beautiful!

Caitlin said...

PS We watched the parade on our computer for a bit too! Even though we live next to it- PASS!

Kim said...

So you did make the dress!! Not surprising. I love the table you set for the large gathering! Can't wait to see what you sewed.

Missus Wookie said...

Lovely table, glad you had help cooking. Cute cookies for birthda andcutekids.

Julie Kieras said...

I am in awe that you did this dinner, even WITH outsourcing. I have never hosted such a big dinner party! I would be so nervous! :) The table looks beautiful!
Love Bebe Sister's dress - as always with the outfits you make her! :)