T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Aquarium...

We have a new aquarium in town. It just opened at the beginning of the year. The kids were so good during my last 5 day stretch of clinical days so this weekend we surprised them with a trip to the new aquarium. T Rex Dad insisted we wait for him to join in the fun and I am so glad we did. It would not have been as fun without him.


Quick school update first -  I finished up my time at the GI clinic and will be moving to urgent care for 6 tough weeks - 12 hours shifts, the first week I'll be doing 5 days, after that it will decrease to alternating 2/3 days. Urgent care - one never knows what I'll see - no scheduled patients, just walk-ins. Maybe I'll get to practice some of my suturing skills or casting/splinting.

This week, though, promises to be a tough one. I'm lining up meals, clothes, and even some blog posts, too. I did also managed to finish the kids' Valentines and even a baby afghan with a coordinating baby doll blanket for the big sister. It ships out to Iowa this week so I'll try to remember to take photos before it is mailed.


Here are my favorite photos from the aquarium trip:

The salt water talk - observing and later feeding. Lots of Nemo and Dory fish to see, even Scar, Bubble, and Peach, too. The fish are even a bit neurotic like their namesake (anyone who's familiar with Finding Nemo knows what I'm talking about).



The sea horses were my favorite. I rotated the photo - they are actually parallel with the ground.


Petting the rays and sharks. T Rex Dad and Lil Sis are petting a ray. Later T Rex was braver and also patted a ray. He was really proud of himself. I'll be posting a video on his blog in the next day or two of him recapping the visit.

There was a balloon animal artist there raising money for the aquarium - T Rex chose a shark and Lil Sis asked for a lady bug. 



It was a really fun time and we liked how everything was nearly a hands-on experience. A really great place for little kids. It was a little expensive for an outing, at least for us on the graduate student budget. We're more into the free outings like a trip to Burger King's super cool playland (more on that later) but it was still great fun with some extra memories to keep me going while I'm away for 60+ hours this week. I just keep looking at that ticker in the top right corner...soon.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll be praying for you this week. Are all fives days 12 hours this week?

septembermom said...

Wow! You have a lot on your plate! Good luck with everything. I know you'll do great.

Awesome pictures of the aquarium. It's always a fun place to bring the kids and parents love it too!

I love the Nemo fish :)

Jenners said...

Wow … you've got an intense week! I'm sure it is exciting and scary and tiring and energizing all at once. I'm sure your kids will thrive so don't worry about them one bit!

We love visiting aquariums … glad you have one nearby now.

Julie Kieras said...

Your aquarium pics came out BEAUTIFULLY!!!! WOW! I love how many hands on things yours has... aquariums are really SO much fun - I should go more but ours are pretty far away!
LOVE the graduation ticker too - what a GREAT idea! :)

Missus Wookie said...

Goodluck on this last stretch it will be worth it. Gorgeous photos - Wookie loves the rays, spends hours there every time we visit an aquarium.

Caitlin said...

looks like so much fun! Can't wait to check it out next time we visit!

Boise Wiebers said...

I haven't been over to your blog in awhile, so I'm just catching up. We visited that aquarium over Christmas break. I loved the jellyfish and tiny seahorses. I'm hoping we can get back in to see some of the newer items soon.

Kim said...

I'm so envious of your new aquarium!! But yes, I know what you mean about how expensive some of these things are. OUr children's museum costs almost $30 for the family to get in and not to mention a snack because you can't bring in your own. Love that last picture of the two of them.