T Rex Family

T Rex Family

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Saturday Fun...A Wonderful Day

The week was long but we have the weekend to relax and recharge our fun batteries.


It was a good week at the clinic but Friday ended kind of rough. My last patient was a middle-aged person who was dropped off by a transportation service. This person could not speak due to a health-related issue and was only accompanied by a note from the nursing home saying "check tube". Clearly the person had not been bathed in several days with soiled clothing and disheveled, matted hair. I was glad we were able to take care of the patient and offer some relief from the discomfort. As I left the clinic and walked to my car I saw the transportation service wheeling the patient out to the van. When I reached my car I sank into my seat and cried. That poor person had no one. How many other people are there out there in similar situations with no one to care for them?


Then I picked up my phone and called my dear hubby for some words of encouragement from his soothing voice. He, too, was having a rough afternoon. The CEO of his company died in a plane crash that morning. T Rex Dad did personally know him and had worked with him for many years. It is a huge loss not just for the company but for our community. Despite that my sweet husband still cheered my spirits before I embarked on the drive home. He is quite amazing that way.


That night we all just snuggled as a family. We clung to each other and thanked God for all our blessings and the life we enjoy. There are tough days but as I often say these days remind us of the wonderful days. Thus, we headed out this morning with the goal of having a wonderful day. It was a simple morning - running at the park pond followed by lunch in an abandoned shopping center. We like to keep things simple.




Watching the wild ducks from a distance. You can tell the wild from the local because of their striking colors.





Picking up sticks and rocks and tossing them into the partially frozen pond.

Just a nearby building with some reflections allowing for an impromptu family photo.

  



Then onto the abandoned mall. We used to frequent this place before the kids were born - back when we had two incomes and no debt. It was a trendy place. Alas, it is now about 80% empty of businesses and on the weekends it is nearly completely empty. However, it is the perfect indoor running place for kids who need to work off their after-lunch energy.










The day ended with a grocery trip to Target - that wasn't exciting enough to merit photos but sometimes the most mundane things can be enjoyable. We had a great day and feel like our fun levels are going back up. We still feel a bit sad about Friday's events but our hearts are not nearly so heavy after reflecting on life and thereafter.


What do you do after a rough day?

7 comments:

Boise Wiebers said...

This post made me weepy. First thinking of that woman who not only seemed to have nobody else in her life, but that her care provider wasn't doing that great of a job in keeping her most basic needs met. Second, I didn't realize it but my husband has the same employer as yours. The more I think about it, the sadder I am for the loss of S.A. He was a great man with a wonderful vision and generous and kind to boot. His family is very much in our families thoughts and prayers.

Tat @ Mum in search said...

It sounds lie a rough Friday! I'm glad that you had a much more relaxing weekend. Your photos are lovely, it reminded me that we haven't been to the park to feed the ducks for a while.

Jenners said...

Wow. That is some heavy duty stuff to deal with. I'm glad you were able to take time as a family and find some happiness. It is important to appreciate all your blessings when you have them.

And we have a mall like that in our town too. I do'nt know how they keep open.

Caitlin said...

oh! I am so sorry to hear about TRex dad's boss! That is terrible! I must share that with Brian right away.
And so sad about the elderly person. My heart just aches when I see lonely/neglected elderly people who once contributed so much to our world. Ugh.
On a lighter note, I LOVE the pic of Princess and Dad walking!

Claremont First Ward said...

I can't believe that mall is so empty, and how sad about that poor man with no one. It is so telling that you cried.....such a compassionate soul. HUGS!

Kim said...

You have a beautiful heart my friend and it doesn't surprise me that your partner in life has one that equals yours. I'm sorry for your loss and all the heartbreak you'll no doubt experience in this noble profession you've chosen. God knows what he's doing when he puts the right people in the roles.

septembermom said...

You and T-Rex Dad are truly special people full of kindness and goodness. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's boss. What a tragedy. And it is sad to think of that elderly person all alone and needing so much help.

The pictures of your lovely family are always soothing to all of us who visit here. Thank you for sharing!